Since 1852 the Squadron, the UK’s senior yacht club, has been housed in Cowes Castle, Isle of Wight. The Castle is a Grade II* Listed Building incorporating the original Henry VIII fort with several additions, most notably by the eminent Victorian architect Salvin.
The new Royal Yacht Squadron Pavilion is built on lawns next to the Castle and ushers the Squadron into the new millennium by providing the members with the additional facilities that are now required to host modern international yachting events.
The main building of the new Pavilion takes the form of a fully glazed freestanding structure with a colonnade of slender steel columns supporting a curved copper roof. The building is deliberately reminiscent of the canvas marquees that have traditionally occupied the Castle’s lawns throughout the summer.